This year, as the new school year draws near, neighbors gather to celebrate Summers close with friends and community partners for safe neighborhoods in a fun filled party in the park. Local business donate foods, prizes and funds to help celebrate. Picnics with live music, games, drawings and activities make this night one to remember. Meeting new neighbors and making friends and enjoying the parks, NNO is famous for having a large attendance.
Local Police and McGruff, the Crime Dog often visit as does the Fire Dept, bringing a fire truck for kids to see.
Many of the north Springfield neighborhoods are celebrating Friday, August 22. Others are later…check the list below for your neighborhood’s schedule..
- Bissett at L.A. Weise Park behind Bissett elementary, 6p-9p
- Grant Beach at Grant Beach Park, 6p-10p
- Weller at Smiths Park, 6:00p-8p
- Robberson at Day Spring Church parking lot, 6p-8p
- Doling at Doling Park, 6p-9p
- West Central at McGregor Park , 6p-9p ??
- Heart of the West Side at Nichols Park, 6p-9p
- TWNA at Tom Watkins Park, Friday, SEPTEMBER 12, 4p t0 ?
- WHNA at Lafayette Park, Friday, SEPTEMBER 12, 6p-9p ??
The introduction of National Night Out, “America’s Night Out Against Crime”, in 1984 began an effort to promote involvement in crime prevention activities, police-community partnerships, neighborhood camaraderie and send a message to criminals letting them know that neighborhoods are organized and standing against crime.